SCREEN-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
"Jennifer M. Bean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 14:51:41 +0000
Bet -- Although I'm drawing a blank on Tailspin Tommy references myself, I
thought you might find interesting the following copy of a program
announcement I just received from Seattle's Aviation Museum.  The contact
person (name and number below) may be someone who, in the process of putting
this program together, knows a good bit about ole Tailspin.  Goodluck.

Sincerely,
Jennifer M. Bean
Assistant Professor of Cinema Studies
Dept. of Comparative Literature
University of Washington-Seattle
Seattle, WA  98195

October 28, 1998

Attention Film/Cinema Studies Faculty!

The Museum of Flight has a new exhibit, "Wings Over Hollywood: Movies
and Aviation" — and we could use your help.

The Museum of Flight is the largest air and space museum on the West
Coast and attracts visitors from all over the world. However, our
out-of-state visitors outnumber our local visitors, especially those in
their twenties such as college students.

I believe that "Wings Over Hollywood," which showcases the treatment of
aviation throughout the history of film, would be of great interest to
college students and professors, specifically those in cinema studies.

This exhibit provides a great opportunity for students to study
stunt-flying and special effects, aspects of film that are often
overlooked, as well as see a variety of movies on the big screen. Many
of these have not been shown in the theater for decades.

Following is an outline of the special events and programs planned
during the exhibit's run. I encourage you to review the event and
program descriptions provided to see if any would be useful to you in
your academic lessons. Brochures of the exhibit are available upon
request. Just call me at 206-768-7105 (Please note that I cannot be
reached at this email address).

Please contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to providing
you with any further information you may need to incorporate our exhibit
into your Fall and Winter classes.

Sincerely,

Eden Hopkins, Public Relations Coordinator
The Museum of Flight    (206) 768-7105

"WINGS OVER HOLLYWOOD: MOVIES AND AVIATION"
Scheduled Events and Programs

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 1998
6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Meet stunt pilots and model builders, then relax in the Museum's William
M. Allen Theater for a free viewing of "Wings." This 1927 silent film,
winner of the first Oscar for best picture, will be accompanied by
organist Andy Crow playing the film's original score. Event is free.

EVERY SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 1998 - JANUARY 9, 1999
(except Nov. 28 and Jan. 2)
11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
The 1940's serial, "Hop Harrigan: America's Ace of the Airways," returns
to the big screen. See the entire series unfold two episodes at a time.
Fifteen episodes in all. Film presentations are free.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 1998
2:00 p.m.
"Crashing for Fun and Profit: The Life of  a Movie Stunt Pilot"
Movie stunt pilot, Dean Engelhardt, shares the inside scoop on
stunt-flying in today's Hollywood. Presentation is free.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19, 1998
2:00 p.m.
"The Rocketeer" (1990)
Return to the golden age of aviation with an old-fashioned Saturday
matinee. See a 1930s pilot stumble onto a rocket-pack that he must keep
out of enemy hands! Just like the good-old-days, admission is just ten
cents!

AND DON'T FORGET THE EXHIBIT!!!
From October 21, 1998 through April 30, 1999, "Wings Over Hollywood:
Movies and Aviation" will be the featured exhibit in the Museum of
Flight's Great Gallery. See how stunt-pilots have shaped Hollywood's
special effects since the earliest motion pictures. Learn about
influential stunt pilots; view special effects models; practice
wing-walking skills on a simulated Curtiss "Jenny" wing; and see
full-size airplanes used in movies, such as the Museum's B-17F, star of
the 1990 film, "Memphis Belle."

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite