SCREEN-L Archives

October 1998, Week 3

From:
Roberto Tietzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:30:54 -0300
Eric Freedman wrote:

>>I've read in a couple of places recently the paraphrasing of a quote or
>>perspective attributed to Francois Truffaut, to the effect that film has a
>>tendency to glamorize all of its subject matter. Have you heard of this?
Do
>>you have an exact quote and/or a citation?

In the book by director of photography Nestor Almendros (a DP who worked
with Truffaut in some eight films) there's a more clear reference to this.
The book is called "Dias de una camara" in spanish, "Un homme a la camera"
in french and, i believe, "Man with a camera" in english.

Almendros quotes Truffaut agreeing that if you shoot anything with a movie
camera, the filming process sort of transforms was has just been shot into
sometinhg else. Somewhat like an "instant painting", whereas in other art
forms there is far more labor required to turn up something good.

Besides that Truffaut quotes specifically black and white cinematography as
being capable of beautifing reality, as it adds a aesthethic component quite
different from reality itself (most people dont see in black in white, that
is).

>Does anyone have a specific Truffaut source?

I did find surprisingly few information on FT in the internet. There is a
page at:

http://iihm.imag.fr/truffaut/

And one of the best (and richest sources) is FT's biography, "François
Truffaut, a biography", by Antoine de Baecque and Serge de Toubiana. I am
not aware of an english edition of this title. There are, however, editions
in french, spanish and portuguese.

I hope this helps

Roberto