SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 3

From:
Brian Keith Aurand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:25:51 -0400
of the film, I am not at all sure that it does day this.  This was the
most disturbing moment for me as I could not see the point of the ending
at first and then could not get the uneasy feeling of Ryan's wife's
response out of my head.  She does not say, "Yes you earned it, Dear." and
then give him a reassurance through touch of some sort--a hug or a hand on
the shoulder.  She pulls away at the end and looks at him as if he is
asking an impossible, existential (?), question about his existence.  The
look on the wife's face does not seem reassuring or certain.  Rather, I
was more thrown by her withdrawl than her assurance.

cheers,
brian

brian k aurand
comparative literature