SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 2

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:34:37 +0100

1) Richard Attenborough making a record for his girlfriend in "Brighton Rock"
(1948)

2)  Susan Hayward playing jazz records on death row in "I Want to Live"
(1958ish)

3) Mennschen am Sontag (1929) - a couple take a gramophone with them on a
picnic - my memory is hazy but I seem to remember it belongs to, and is
operated by, the female.

4)  The Nazi animated short "Verwitterte Melodie" (1941) in which various
animals and insects (some of them clearly Jewish stereotypes) dance around a
gramophone which has been junked in a field.

L.
Leo Enticknap
Postgraduate Common Room
(newly renamed) School of English