SCREEN-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:13:47 -0500
Scott Hutchins wonders:

> I was wondering if anyone could give me the titles of some really inept
> documentaries I saw in middle school health classes that were so inept
> they were funny. One was on the Heimlich maneuver, and it would cut away
> from the choking person to some people who would deliver this "Look, he's
> turned blue!" line, after which it would cut back to the person in
> day-glow makeup like a smurf!
>
> The other was on wounds, and it had this woman in a business suit talking
> to the audience in a pale blue room. The first story had a guy singing
> and chopping pepperoni. When he tossed it in the air to cut it, he sliced
> not his hand but his inner elbow! My class laughed so hysterically we
> were not allowed to see the second part, which a friend informed me had
> two guys hunting. One thought he shot a rabbit, but then heard his friend
> scream, so he threw his gun as far away as he could. When he loads his
> companion onto the truck, he throws his companion's gun as far away as he
> can. The other class was in hysterics as well, but not so bad that it had
> to be turned off.
>
> I'd love to see these again, and I'm sure I could find them through
> interlibrary loan if I knew the titles.

I don't have the titles, but you might try to find them through Rick
Prelinger's "Ephemeral Films" collections. For information, go to:
        gopher://gopher.well.sf.ca.us:70/11/Art/Experimental.Film.and.Video/secret.cent
 ury

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite