SCREEN-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
"Horak, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:00:45 -0700
In reference to Scott Hitchin's query, I would argue that METROPOLIS is
not a German expressionist film in the narrow sense of the term. It does
not use distorted sets (expressing a subjective vision), nor is the
acting particularly stylized (as in expressionist theatre). It is a
science fiction film with a highly melodramatic plot that may be
considered to have expressionist touches (lighting!). Of course,
refering to my earlier post on PANDORA'S BOX, METROPOLIS must also be
considered an art film. But like another of Pabst's art films, THE
JOYLESS STREET, I would consider METROPOLIS as much a product of German
Neue Sachlichkeit (New Realism), as influenced by elements of
expressionism.

Chris Horak

Jan-Christopher Horak
Director