SCREEN-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:19:28 BST
On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:26:03 -0500 Scott Hutchins wrote:

> Dr. Touponce showed our class _Metropolis_ as an example of a German
> expressionist film.  What keeps it out of the definition?

I seem to remember that the list Chris Horak cites was also proposed by Barry
 Salt in an article
called "From Caligari to Who?" in 'Sight and Sound'.  I can't remember the exact
 reference, but
think it is early '80s.  Salt comes up with quite a detailed list of criteria in
 order for a film to qualify
as "expressionist", but his essential argument is that the word has become -
 incorrectly in his
opinion - a generic term to describe all German cinema from the '20s which does
 not conform to
certain aesthetic norms.

This point is also discussed by David Robinson in his BFI film classics book on
 'Caligari' (London,
BFI, 1997).

L.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite