SCREEN-L Archives

June 1998, Week 2

From:
Brian Taves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Taves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 18:43:19 -0400
> Date:    Fri, 5 Jun 1998 18:18:49 +0100
> From: Ingvald Bergsagel <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Action as genre
>
> Does anyone know of genre-studies done on action-films? I've found plenty
> on western, noir, gangster, sci-fi, adventure and other related genres, in
> addition to (naturaly) writings on screen-violence mentioning classic
> action-flicks, but nobody seems to have analysed action as a genre.

I think the reason is, as I suggest in my book on the historical adventure
genre, because "action" itself is not a genre. The types you've mentioned
above are genres, whereas action is a style uniting them. The word action
itself does not imply a specific type of story or formula, but rather a
way of treating a story and an emphasis on certain types of elements.
Action is a male-oriented approach dependent on physical movement,
violence, and suspense, with often perfunctory motivation and romance.
Action tends to shift sentiment, character, dialogue, and family to the
background. In action films a hero succeeds by facing death, courageously
overcoming dangers and adversaries. Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Shane,
the Thief of Bagdad, Luke Skywalker, and Robin Hood are, I would argue,
all action heroes--but each belongs to a separate genre (mystery,
espionage, western, fantasy, science fiction, historical adventure,
respectively).

Brian Taves
Motion Picture/Broadcasting/Recorded Sound Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue, S.E. Washington, D.C. 20540-4692
Telephone: 202-707-9930; 202-707-2371 (fax)
Email: [log in to unmask]

Disclaimer--All opinions expressed are my own.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite