SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 5

From:
"Mark W. Best" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 00:03:10 EDT
In my opinion, everyone is taking this list too seriously. It is like picking
the year's top ten, or five films nominated for best picture. As far as I can
see, the list is a good thing in that it will stimulate discussion, and maybe
inspire people to sample previously unseen films. If a Generation X movielover
who has seen Top Gun 23 times is inspired to rent Only Angels Have Wings
because of this list, then it is serving a constructive purpose.

Yes, it is commercialized, but isn't that the history of American film? Art
was a by product of commerce. The Warners, the Mayers, the Cohns, were
businessmen. From their business came art. Were it not for the commercial
viability of Ford, Hawks, and Hitchcock we would not have The Searchers,
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, or Rear Window.

So let us stop trashing the list for it flaws, and utilize it as a tool of
discussion and illumination. Remember, most of us developed our love of
classic cinema watching old movies on commercial TV. That a late showing of
Out of the Past was sponsered by Crest did little to dull our apperciation of
it.

Mark Best

University of Alabama.