SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Deron Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 08:42:09 -0400
There's a new book (published by Routlegde, I think) called something like
"Contemporary Video Art" it sort of scan-line blue (the spine included)
and has been at every major bookstore i've visited lately.  i apologize i
cant remember the exact title, but i know its out there.

good luck
deron albright
temple university

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Eric Freedman wrote:

> >I'll be teaching a 'video art' class next year and am looking for some good
> >experimental video pieces -- which are available for rental or mail order.
> >Some years ago at the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art I saw an
> > interesting
> >film entitled "The Way Things Go"; it was Dutch, I think, about half an hour
> > long,
> >and featuring simple Rube-Goldberg-like contraptions...
> >
> >Would anyone on the list know where I could find it, or the filmmakers?
> >

> The Swiss artists are Peter Fischli and David Weiss.  I believe the title
> "The Way Things Go" is translated from "Der Laufe Der Dinge."  The Museum
> of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles did feature the work; and the bookstore
> actually sold a videotape of the work.  I would start with the MOCA
> Bookstore in LA.  You might also try the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
> (the work has shown there as well), or several of the New York galleries
> that represent the artists (Postmasters Gallery, Paula Cooper Gallery, Mary
> Boone Gallery).
>
> As far as other experimental video, the largest US vendors are Video
> Databank in Chicago and Electronic Arts Intermix in New York.  Facets also
> sells some video art titles at reduced prices (though using Facets may cut
> into desperately needed money for the video artists themselves).
>

> Eric Freedman
> Department of Communication
> Florida Atlantic University
> 777 Glades Road
> Boca Raton, Florida  33431
>
> Phone: 561-297-2534
> Fax: 561-297-2615
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
> ----
> Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
> http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite

University of Alabama.