SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 3

From:
Eric Freedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 15:32:43 -0500
>I'll be teaching a 'video art' class next year and am looking for some good
>experimental video pieces -- which are available for rental or mail order.
>Some years ago at the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art I saw an
> interesting
>film entitled "The Way Things Go"; it was Dutch, I think, about half an hour
> long,
>and featuring simple Rube-Goldberg-like contraptions...
>
>Would anyone on the list know where I could find it, or the filmmakers?

The Swiss artists are Peter Fischli and David Weiss.  I believe the title
"The Way Things Go" is translated from "Der Laufe Der Dinge."  The Museum
of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles did feature the work; and the bookstore
actually sold a videotape of the work.  I would start with the MOCA
Bookstore in LA.  You might also try the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
(the work has shown there as well), or several of the New York galleries
that represent the artists (Postmasters Gallery, Paula Cooper Gallery, Mary
Boone Gallery).

As far as other experimental video, the largest US vendors are Video
Databank in Chicago and Electronic Arts Intermix in New York.  Facets also
sells some video art titles at reduced prices (though using Facets may cut
into desperately needed money for the video artists themselves).

Eric Freedman
Department of Communication
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road