SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 16:04:44 -0500
I came late to this post, so was surprised to see Scott Hutchins ask:

> The filmography (at http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi/ozfilms.htm) is cleaned
> up (mostly) through 1987. Two of the films were made at Mankato State
> University. Perhaps Donald Larsson could help with that?

The two citations were:

1976
The Wizard of Oz [play]
BW, 115 min., filmed February 19.
Mankato Fine Arts Community Theatre
V: Mankato State University (videoreels)

1983
Matilda Joslyn Gage [Research Discussion]
BW, 30 min.
Mankato State University
W: Sally Roesch Wagner.
S: John E. Dimeglio (Moderator), Sally Roesch Wagner (Matlida Electra Joslyn
 Gage), Michael
Patrick Hearn (Authority on L. Frank Baum).
V: Mankato State University

The first is apparently a video record of a community play version of
the film (before my time here). A search of the library database does
not indicate that the tape is still there. It might have been removed
by now.

The second is in the library's video collection. Sally Wagner was a
former member of the Women's Studies Department here whose specialty
was on the life of Matilda Gage, who was--if memory serves--the
mother-in-law of L. Frank Baum. The video is a tape of a presentation
and conference on Gage. Sally used to give "living history"
presentations dressed as Gage.

I doubt if the film footage is at all relevant or even extant, but when
the Theater Dept. did a stage version of the Wizard several years ago,
they used a projected film image of a tornado in the opening scene.

Don Larsson