SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

From:
Dan Gribbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 11:28:30 -0500
This is a bit of a side issue to the question of paintings used in opening
titles, but it seems to me that films which involve artists at work have
posed a problem which some have handled better than others, namely the
problem of depicting the paintings themselves.  "The Moderns" was mentioned
in a recent posting, a film which I remember as presenting some rather
unconvincing art on the canvas of the painter-at-work.  An innovative,
though somewhat problematical approach, was used in "I've Heard the
Mermaids Singing," where the canvases were never directly seen but were
made to glow ineffably around their edges as seen from behind or from the
side.  Keeping in mind that Polly is seen as being star-struck by the art
scene, which is ultimately satirized for its lack of humanity, the glow may
be in part satirical.  We might explore some other examples of films which
deal with the problem of depicting artists at work.  (I know there are a
number that depict famous art works in gallery settings, but I'm referring
here to work in progress, so to speak.)  Ciao.  Dan.

Dan Gribbin
Ferrum College
Ferrum, VA

  Dan Gribbin  ([log in to unmask])