SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 12:00:16 -0500
John Doyle requests:

> Can anyone suggest interesting examples of opening title sequences
> that use works of art (paintings or drawings) as a background?

I can't be sure of the following, but the films themselves are at least
somewhat art-related and I do know that a few of them feature such
pictures in the immediate credits or just after.  I include fictional
"artworks" here but not drawings or animations that are designed
specifically for the credits alone (eg. the Pink Panther films).

LAURA, THE PORTRAIT OF DORIAN GRAY, FRIENDLY PERSUASION (this one I'm
sure of--a stitched sampler that "comes to life," something of a cliche
in a number of films), THE HORSE'S MOUTH (with Alec Guinness), Lang's
THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (with E.G. Robinson), Altman's THREE WOMEN,
PORTRAIT OF JENNY, Hitchcock's REBECCA (featuring the tree that the
narrator said her father idealized as a subject for painting--may not
really count), VOLERE/VOLARE

MOULIN ROUGE (Toulouse-Lautrec), THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
(Michelangelo), EL GRECO, REMBRANDT (with Laughton), LUST FOR LIFE (Van
Gogh) and Altman's VINCENT AND THEO, Peter Watkin's EDVARD MUNCH (and
check out the forthcoming ARTEMESIA about Gentileschi), the cartoon GAY
PUREE

FUNNY FACE (drawings from the fashion world), AN AMERICAN IN PARIS

Mizoguchi's UTAMARO AND HIS FIVE WOMEN

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite