SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Jim Marsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 16:18:04 -0400
William A Goodman wrote:

> I'm researching the representations of disabled characters and the
> scarcity of such characters in film, and was wondering if anyone could
> direct me toward any helpful resources?  Thanks

If by _resources_ you mean to include films that feature disabled
characters, the Internet Movie Database gave me a list of 25 whose plot
summaries include the term _disabled_. But you should also search
_wheelchair_ and other key terms, as the list did not include The Best
Years of Our Lives, Coming Home, Born on the Fourth of July, My Left Foot,
Passion Fish, or Cutter's Way. Then there's Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove!
(Maybe you'll have to revise your perception of _scarcity_!)

University of Alabama.