SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Darrell Varga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 11:59:46 -0500
Leo Enticknap wrote:

> None of the publicity material for "The Sweet Hereafter" mentioned Egoyan's
> nomination, nor did
> the occasion of its nomination prompt any more aggressive marketing on the
 part
> of its
> distributor. I would guess that the reason is that the kind of patron who
 comes
> to see an Egoyan
> film couldn't give a four-x about the Oscars. For the kind of patron who
 comes
> to "Titanic", they
> indicate that the film has something special to offer.

I agree entirely that the Oscars are about making money but according to
a story in the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper published prior to the
awards, Egoyan's distributor spent over $750,000 in additional
advertising following the nomination--an unusually high amount for a
small budget Canadian film. This advertising was largely aimed at
academy voting members and, according to the story, went a long way in
increasing the film's popularity among the Beverly Hills country club
milieu. What was it Adorno said about art being the ultimate commodity?

Darrell Varga
York University

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite