SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Janet Staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 17:21:25 -0500
Although I might address this directly to Bob Kolker, who is chairing the
1999 SCS Conference Program Committee,  I thought his answer--which I hope
he will make--would be of interest to the entire SCREEN-L list.  Here are
the questions:

1)  Why has the SCS leadership decided to split the field into "Film and
Media Theories" and "Film and Media Histories" as has been suggested by the
call for papers for the plenary sessions at the 1999 conference?  One of the
points I consistently make to my  students is that this is a false
separation, that theories underpin all history writing and that most
theories imply causality (history).

2)  Why have we reduced the number of submissions to 1?  This might
discourage senior faculty from combining with junior faculty on a panel
because now everyone will want to maximize their chance of being selected.
The older system of 1 submission on a panel and one open-call encouraged
senior faculty to help network with junior faculty.

Thanks, Janet Staiger
Janet Staiger
   Professor of Radio-Television-Film
   Director, College of Communications Senior Fellows Program
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712  USA
512-471-6653 (office)
512-329-5104 (home)