SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Ken Mogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 02:14:16 +1000
I think I originally mis-posted my message to Don Larsson's personal
email address. Apologies, Don. Here it is again, correctly sent (I
trust).

Have been tardy in my response to this, hoping that names of relevant
films (other than the couple below) would come to me. They didn't (!),
and in any case you, Don, and others have now listed some very pertinent
ones. (But my feeling remains that some Renoirs and/or Viscontis might
also fit.)

My two instances are both Hitchcocks. The first is the wonderful Saul
Steinberg titles-sequence for THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (1956) done after
the style of Paul Klee, Hitchcock's favourite painter. I discuss this
in my essay on HARRY that's on the Web (URL below). See also Ed Sikov's
essay on HARRY in his 'Laughing Hysterically: American Screen Comedy of
the 1950s' (1994), pp. 156-57.

Also, there's the titles-sequence for STAGE FRIGHT (1950), which
features a theatre safety-curtain on which is depicted (I think - can
anyone please confirm?) the goddess Athena/Minerva, Greek/Roman goddess
of wisdom and of the arts and sciences. An interesting feature of this
illustration is that (to my eyes - can anyone ...?) it's done in the
likeness of the film's star, Marlene Dietrich, who in the film plays a
Grand Dame of the Theatre.

- Ken Mogg (Ed., 'The MacGuffin').
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin

University of Alabama.