SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Dick Gollin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 22:29:02 -0400
Leo Enticknap sees "Triumph of the Will" reworked by the end of "Star Wars"
(as by so many other films).  I've always thought that scene indebted
to the similar scene in "The Sea Hawk" where Queen Elizabeth formally
honors Errol Flynn for his gallant services against the Spanish.  Of
course British royalty often used State occasions to express their
gratitude to Flynn's swashbuckling characters, in "The Prince and the
Pauper" and "Captain Blood" too if I remember right.  Like Harrison
Ford's less debonair equivalent, Flynn's were unimpressed by the ceremonials
yet respectful of everything they represented.

Dick Gollin
Film Studies, Univ. of Rochester

University of Alabama.