SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:19:29 -0500
It is the (perceived) threat of castration (by the father) which makes the
male child
suppress his desire for the mother till such time when he can find himself
a female mate. Females thus become objects for exchange among men, and the
family system is created.

When the male child in the post-oedipal stage begins entry into the
symbolic order, the process is ensured by a threat of castration ("lack"
of the phallus). For a good description, read "Key Concepts in Cinema
Studies" by Susan Hayward (Routledge, London).