SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 2

From:
Robspiere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:44:29 EDT

> So, what about it? Who out there can recommend something? I'd like to get
>  past that typical first few weeks in every semester when I get the
>  damndest, most unreadable "scripts." I invariably just tell some of them to
>  literally cut and paste.

Instead of using a proprietary application for this relatively simple DTP
application, use Word.  Since we all know of Microsoft's incredible
proliferation, I'm going to assume you have Microsoft Word.

With Word the solution is simple.  Use tables.  Open up a new document, put a
heading on it, and pull down the Table menu and choose Insert Table.  Leave
the Columns setting at 2 and put Rows at 5 or 6.  Then click Ok.  Now you've
got your two columns.  Put your Video and Audio headings in the first row and
you're on your way.  Use TAB and Shift+TAB to move from cell to cell.  When
you get to the last row, just hit tab again and it will make an additional
row.

If you want to get clever, you can move your mouse to the far left side of the
page next to your heading row, click to select that entire row, and choose
Copy from the Edit menu.  Then choose Header and Footer from the View menu,
and choose Paste.  That way the heading will remain on additional pages.

We've used Word for these A/V scripts at my studio and it's worked out well.

Hope I could help.

Rob

University of Alabama.