SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 5

From:
JULIANN E JENKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:37:05 -0800
Also, what if you broke "adolescent literature" down into "high" canonic vs.
 popular?
And how long do you want the novels to be. Most of the big romantic 19th cent.
 novels
used to be recommended to adolescents and they've all been filmed but they're
 long reads.
And the movies made from books for adolescents into either prestige or
 potboilers?

And maybe it's better to think about books for girls specifically so that
 they're not
forgotten. Except, what about Austen, who used to be recommended to adolescent
 girls.
There's the travesty Pride and Prejudice movie and two very good long BBC tv
 productions
as well as Sense & S and the two Emmas. And the Brontes have all been filmed
 more than
once. And Alcott--Little Women? What about National Velvet?

You could just think of authors and work your way forward: do you want Robert
 Louis
Stevenson? Treasure Island and Kidnapped at least have been filmed. What about
 Kipling?
Captains Courageous, Jungle Book--the live action w/Sabu. What about the 39
 Steps--book
is VERY different from movie, both equally interesting. What about
 Rawlings--the
Yearling. What about My Friend Flicka? Remarque's All Quiet on the Western
 Front has
been filmed. Separate Peace and Lord of the Flies are taught in school and both
 have
been filmed. Will James' Smoky has been filmed.

Probably the simplest way to do this is to start w/the list of books you're
 using, then
search the Internet Movie Database to see if the book you have has been filmed,
 then see
if you can get the copy and if not, choose another book.