SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 2

From:
"Meryem C. Ersoz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meryem C. Ersoz
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 08:55:44 -0700
It turns out that HEARTLINES is actually entitled HEARTBEATS and that Paul
Lynde played the zany Uncle Arthur and not Endora's hubby. My previous
post on gay/lesbian TV roles, it seems, was full of inaccuracies large and
small. Thanks to all for the gentle corrections....

And now, I have a question of my own. I teach a one-term history of film
class and--like many others I'm sure--have that uncomfortable task of
choosing the ONE film to stand in for the history of entire genres. I feel
quite stuck on which full-length feature musical to choose in order to
represent The Musical. I have two shorts, St. Louis Blues with Bessie
Smith and Black and Tan Fantasy with Duke Ellington, (along with the
requisite Jazz Singer clip) to talk about the coming of sound. Can anyone
suggest a feature-length musical which would complement these choices?

I would also be interested, for future reference, in hearing more
generally about what choices instructors make in terms of selecting
musicals to represent The Musical and on what grounds they make their
choices.

Teaching film history in what feels like a grossly abbreviated
one-semester format (when I'm accustomed to two or three
leisurely trimesters) has been frustrating. I feel as if I am asking too
much and still accomplishing too little.

Meryem Ersoz
University of Colorado-Denver