SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 5

From:
Dan Streible <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 14:17:28 -0500
I am compiling a bibliography on the work of filmmaker Emile de Antonio.  I
have an unidentified copy of an article in French that I need a complete
citation for.  Searching in all the usual film indexes has failed to help
me identify the source.

If anyone here can help, I'd be much obliged.

The article is captioned "Un <<radical>> américain...  d'<<âge moyen>>:
Emile de Antonio."
The name LE CINEMA appears on the margin (from the Paris journal CINEMA??)
        It probably dates from the 1970s.

_____________
        While I'm on the subject, I am curious about experiences,
reactions, recollections viewers in SCREEN-Land have had with de Antonio's
film POINT OF ORDER! (1964), the compilation of kinescopes about the
Army-McCarthy hearings of 1954.
        Most writing about this film discusses the film's lack of a
voice-over narration.  But most prints of this film in circulation today do
seem to have at least some voice over, particularly in the opening segment.
I know an abridged version was made for the college market
(Charge/Countercharge) and another abridgement and re-working of the film
was aired by ABC News.   Several different people recorded voiceovers.
        Is there still an 'original' version being used with absolutely no
voiceover?  If you've heard a version with a narrator, whose voice was
used?

        Finally, the other primary point usually made about POINT OF ORDER
was that it was perhaps the 'first' compilation documentary feature.  This
seems a curious claim, since Jay Leyda's history of the compilation film
was published the same year de Antonio's film was released.  Why the
perception that this was new?

Dan Streible