SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 5

From:
Mile Films <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:53:39 EST
I would believe that the version New Yorker Films distributes would be the
original since Dan Talbot (New Yorker's owner) was the co-producer of the
film. I'm sure someone at New Yorker Films could find out the history of their
material and every other version.

As for claims about "firsts," we distributors will often do or say anything to
get more press so it sometimes comes from us. Or worse, from writers with
insufficient historical backgrounds and everybody repeats it. Even the best
make mistakes. For example, one great historian mentions that Grass is about
Laplanders chasing reindeer. Or our claim in the Tabu press kit that the film
is one of the most beautiful B&W films ever shot (which we feel comes close to
the truth), but many reporters wrote, " the most beautiful B&W film ever made"
which naturally, we quoted back in our publicity as well.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video