SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
"Gareth B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:32:36 -0700
>         "There's a chapter in my book, "Screening Images" called, "The camera
> always lies". That pretty well sums up my read on this topic."

> . . . wouldn't it be better, at least on this list, to
> say instead that "the camera never tells, and in fact cannot tell, the
> whole truth" . . .
>
> . . . to leave the claim it in its more radical form suggests that
> ALL camera images are equally false, or false in the same way . . . and
> do we really wanna say that?

To start with just still photography, pick any major news magazine. Look
at the photos of the people in the news. For example, Al Gore is now
getting a lot of 'presidential' pictures, highly flattering, beautifully
lit and cropped. Other people get dead-on poorly lit b&w prints, usually
while their mouth is in an instant of some letter form that, frozen,
isn't particularly attractive, or in the midst of making some gesture
that at the shutter instant, looks awkward.

A new book has been released on the Russian penchant for editing the
photos of political figures from the past to reflect the political
opinions of the present. Of course, technology is much more
sophisticated now.

The point being, even in a 'documentary' situation, one can be loved by
the camera or abused by it. How is the subject framed? Are camera
movements fluid or jerky? And from what angle? What about sound quality,
both on location and in post-production?

Now, add to that actions and dialogue. Boil down hours of footage to a
selected several minutes. There is no way that the film-maker's biases,
opinions, prejudices, etc. are not going to be reflected in the choice
of material. Why is one sentence left out, and another left in, if they
both illuminate the subject in somewhat the same way? More important,
what about reaction shots? What about quoting out of context, and maybe
the context requires a couple of paragraphs to get the subject's
meaning, which would be boring on film? What about the juxtaposition of
selected fragments, which, edited together, creates meaning -- the
essential fact of editing itself? Whose meaning is thereby created?

When the documentary is finished, the ballyhoo proclaims "This is the
way it *really* is!" -- and since, yes, there it is on the screen, not
rehearsed, not set up, not 'directed,' it _must_ be the TRUTH.

Well, it's not. The entire world was the jury for the O. J. Simpson
trial, but *only the jurors heard all the evidence.* From what _I_
heard, I think he was guilty of murder. But I wasn't a juror, so all can
say is, I judged the media version of the trial, not the evidence.

And consider THIS IS SPINAL TAP. This fake rock 'n' roll documentary by
Rob Reiner is so true that it has entered the vocabulary of rock
criticism -- not that the writers have been fooled, but that despite
being a work of fiction, it does express *truth*. While being an
hysterically funny movie about the excesses and inanities of the music
business, it also says something about documentaries in general.

Consider JFK, a quasi-documentary that finally got some footage of the
assassins on the grassy knoll.

Consider FORREST GUMP's newsreel footage of Forrest with Lyndon B.
Johnson, President of the United States.

Not only does the cameral always lie, the camera is incapable of telling
the truth. And even the inviolability of 'camera honesty' has been
demonstrated in popular amusements to be a sham. But filmmakers can
tell their version of the truth, and that is all that one can ask of an
artist in any medium.

Paul E. Clinco

University of Alabama.