SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:01:18 -0600
Tom Vick wonders:
On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 03:30:12 -0500 Tom Vick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Regarding Schlemiels, a category of person dear to my heart:
>
> What about Jacques Tati's reception here?  He is, of course popular among
> academics, etc., but I wonder about his popularity among more "general"
> audiences.  Part of what translates so well, for me, at least, is his debt to
> silent comedy, which translates well across cultures.  Same with Bean.

I've found students, at least, slow to warm to Tati, perhaps because he
is so much the formalist in his play with depth of field and attention
to things like the soundtrack that audiences are conditioned to accept
at face (or ear) value.  Once they begin to catch on, they begin to
enjoy, but it takes some doing (not unlike their reactions to CITIZEN
KANE).

I think it's interesting that BEAN the film seemed to owe much less to
the spirit of Tati (one of Atkinson's avowed inspirations) than to the
spirit of Curly Howard!

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite