PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

PM-DOS Home

PM-DOS  October 1997, Week 5

PM-DOS October 1997, Week 5

Re: A couple of questions

"Thomas R. Stephenson" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:30:43 -0800

On 29 Oct 97 at 17:16, James Clifford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> First off, I was wondering if the file format for the address book
> file is available... I must admit that I haven't spent much time
> looking for it, but just out of curiousity it'd be nice to have to
> facilitate importing addresses etc. from databases that I've got.

There are two methods of importing data into an address book, direct
and with PMIMPORT.  The format of the data files are slightly
different, they cannot be interchanged. The critical fields are Key,
Name and Email address.  All other fields may be blank or missing.

The direct method from WinPmail is Addressbook | Import from text
file while the address book is open.  The DOS Pmail method is F10,
Import from text file while the book is open.

The format of this file is:

Name:            Stephenson T.
Of:              Home E-Mail Address
Key:             STEPHENSON
Street address:
Postal address:
E-mail address:  Thomas R. Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Phone number:    (408) 263-2836
Fax number:
Notes:           LCDR, USN (RET)
--

Name:            Stephenson Thomas
Of:              42-10 B/575

The PMIMPORT method can be either a command line or batch. The batch
commands are:

PMIMPORT: batch usage -

      PMIMPORT /i textfile addressbook
   or PMIMPORT /e textfile addressbook

where the file format is:

(This information can be found in the GUIDE)

The following is a sample of an input file suitable for use with
PMIMPORT. Note the very first line of the file, which is the long
name of the address book. Note the missing fields in some entries -
this is perfectly permissable.