SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:09:28 -0600
Helen Kay asks:

> Can anyone help? I'm trying to compile a list of films or TV programmes
> (fiction or non-fiction, but preferably post-1970) which incorporate or
> discuss popular images of genetics. I'm looking in particular for
> popular "behavioural genetics" stories--"bad seed" or "evil genes" themes.

You might want to start with films based on Naturalist novels that
often deal with the anti-hero protagonists as "tainted" by "bad blood."
Renoir's LA BETE HUMAINE (from a Zola novel) and von Stroheim's GREED
(adapted from Frank Norris's MCTEAGUE) are two examples.

Of course, some of the more recent horror/slasher films play on this
theme, but it's interesting to note that some of them have the slasher
tainted not by blood or genes but by a traumatic experience.

The Nature vs. Nurture debate continues.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite