SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 4

From:
LAJarvik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:46:08 -0400
I just read in the UCLA Film & TV alumni newsletter that George Schaefer,
 retired dean, had died after a long illness at the age of 76. He was one of my
 MFA thesis advisors, and I took classes from him as well. He was an excellent
 teacher as well as a talented producer and director. He began directing in the
 army during WWII, went to Broadway and New York television, and succeeded Sir
 Maurice Evans as producer-director for Hallmark Hall of Fame, where he worked
 for many years before coming to UCLA. At UCLA he directed plays as well as
 teaching and doing administrative work. He did a supeer production of The
 Admirable Chrichton as well as the musical Leave It To Jane and other shows.
 He headed the motion picture academy's foreign oscar program and would host an
 annual event with foreign directors in Hollywood. The last time I saw him was
 in Washington, DC, where he was on a National Endowment for the Arts media
 panel and I was an observer of the open session. I can't say enough nice
 about the man, who truly was accomplished as a stage, television and film
 director, as well as a wonderful teacher.

University of Alabama.