SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 3

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:49:11 -0400
WIZARD OF OZ (that is, Baum's book much more than MGM's film) has indeed
been interpreted as "about" Midwestern Progressivism - Oz being
Washington D.C., William Jennings Bryan represented in there somewhere
(the wizard I think), the scarecrow, the tin man and the cowardly lion
representing something like farming, industry, and hunting.  when i reread
the book, though, with this in mind, I could see the implications there,
but not too deeply integrated into the story structure - that is, if it is
a Midwestern allegory, it's not an incredibly well-articulated allegory

ray privett

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite