SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 4

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:57:59 -0400
Do museum screenings of a print that they own constitute fair use?  I would
have thought not but I recently read something about how entrepreneur (to
be kind) Wade Williams claimed that the Museum of Modern Art was infringing
his rights by showing some 50s sf B-movies that he claimed ownership for.
This isn't a good example because Williams apparently didn't actually own
the copyright and MOMA ended up paying him simply to avoid bad publicity
and get him off their (its?) back.  But MOMA said that it never paid
anything for its screenings which is why I'm wondering if there's a fair
use exception or if MOMA is just in a strong position that most people
would never sue them.
Lang Thompson
http://members.aol.com/wlt4/index.htm

University of Alabama.