SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
Brian McGugan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:03:29 -0800
Lang Thompson Wrote:

>I saw a making-of doc on "Air Force One" which showed the actors filming
>in front of a green screen (is this still called "rear projection"?).

No. rear projection and Green screen are 2 differnt things. Rear
projection is just that; the images are projected onto a screen behind
the scene and sync'd to the film camera. Green or Blue screen provides a
colour that can be matted out in post production with a background plate.
>Why
>green instead of blue? Are both colors used, according to costumes etc?
>Is there some technical advantage to green?
The reason green might be chozen over blue is that perhaps there are some
blue colours on the subjects to be filmed, and the matting process would
also eliminate this object (not desired) as well as the screen behind
(desired). You can actually choose any primary colour for the matte
process, I understand. It is crucial that the lighting of the subject be
well seperated from the blue background and that no spill occurrs. If
blue hits the outline of the subjects, then tearing can occurr. Usually
seperate lights backlight the subject with an orange colour to cancel any
possible blue spill.

One company dedicated to Blue screen photography in L.A. is Out of the
Blue Productions.

Brian McGugan

                         Brian McGugan
     Box 15699 Main Post Office Vancouver B.C.
                       Canada V6B 5B4

http://www.ffa.ucalgary.ca/artists/bmcgugan/index.html

Motifs and Repetitions, my first short film:
               http://www.imag.net/~goog/