SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
Donald Hounam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:18:36 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Tania
Kamal-Eldin) wrote:

> I am doing research on how Middle Easter/Arab women are depicted in
> Hollywood films....
> Can anyone make suggestions....

One obvious area would be Biblical Epics (for example, Ben Hur, where
Jewish women struggle with Roman men for the possession of Charlton
Heston's body).

Another would be political thrillers, where Arab women occasionally crop
up as terrorists. An image springs to mind, but I can't match it with a
film. But certainly the Chuck Norris vehicle "Delta Force" was set in the
Middle East. And there were a couple of Raid on Entebbe movies, as I
recall.

These rather vague recollections prompt a broad generalisation, that
Hollywood's depiction of contemporary Middle Eastern women (like its
depiction of women in general) is probably pathologically stereotyped and
fiercely dichotomised. The only difference being that for the 2nd term of
the traditional Madonna/whore opposition, Hollywood tends to substitute a
(probably sexually voracious) terrorist, dressed in black, with cropped
hair and waving a submachine gun. Of course, I may just letting my
prejudices show...

(You might also check out the fringes of Raiders of the Lost Ark; and
didn't one of the Tom Clancy adaptations spend some time wandering around
a Saharan terrorist training camp?)