SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Walter Metz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:32:16 -0500
I am trying to put together a panel on the intersections between fictional
film and the Holocaust, for the 1998 meeting of the Florida State University
Conference on Film and Literature.  The conference meets January 29-31, 1998
in Tallahassee, FL.  The deadline for submissions is October 3, so I'm
trying to get moving relatively quickly.  My own paper uses Fredric
Jameson's Political Unconscious to talk about Fritz Lang's Rancho Notorious
as a film which responds to the crisis of the Holocaust and its repressed
nature in the United States.  I'm interested in getting some panelists
together who would engage this paper in various ways:  perhaps some
critiques/analysis of such "allegorical" readings, work critiquing/analyzing
the currently available film and the Holocaust books (Insdorf, Avisar,
Doneson), etc.  I hesitate to prescribe the focus, as I think a wide array
of "new" work on film and the Holocaust is in order.  However, as my work is
on a film which is clearly not directly about the Holocaust but circulates
its "social energies," I am very intrigued by the possibility, plausibility,
and morality of such readings.  If you are interested, could you please
e-mail me or call me and we can discuss how our projects might converge.
Thanks.

Walter Metz
University of Texas at Austin
512-795-0232