SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeff MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:41:13 PDT
I'm curious what scholarship --whether film theory or more cultural studies
related-- exists regarding the history and study of the "mainstream" summer
blockbuster film. This fall I'm doing a directed studies class with the
hopes of studying either this year's crop or doing comparative studies with
previous years', and charting whatever yields from that. Not being able to
easily find any criticism to really foundation my work on, I've refocused
on looking at _Men in Black_ as regard's Jameson's ideas of the nostalgia
film; observations regarding contemporary reworkings of the science fiction
b-movie; perhaps as well as American cultural issues of conspiracy theory
and milleninal thinking.

Any broad or specific work one might suggest would be greatly appreciated,
though I'm particularly interested in what, if any, work exists on the
cultural and industrial significance of the blockbuster "season".

Jeff MacIntyre
Simon Fraser University

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite