SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:55:00 -0500
The recently released "Conspiracy Theory" was preceeded by a novel based
on the film, which if not a first, is at least a recent development.
Previously, the novel based on the film followed it.

This led me to wonder how the tie-ins between popular films and related
products: books, toys, clothing, styles, etc. developed over the years. I
remember that Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951) was followed by a
paperback reprint, with a photograph from the film on the cover, of the
C.S. Forester trilogy on which it was based. But I'm sure this wasn't the
first.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this phenomenon developed? Does it
exist in other countries/cultures?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter S. Latham