SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:43:28 -0400
Laura Ciampa
08/11/97 09:43 AM
Although I don't necessarily believe that television/film violence makes
people more violent or inspires specific violent acts, I give a lot of
credence to the theory that the high volume of violence in our
entertainment media desensitizes us to real violence.  I also believe it
promotes the ideology of violence as a means of "solving" problems.  We
learn from television about events and situations which we do not
necessarily experience firsthand.  In that way, it promotes certain
ideologies and affects our perception of the world.

Regarding the comments on "NYPD Blue," I also believe there is a big
difference between "cartoonish" violence and realistic violence, in which
the consequences are shown to the viewer.  I find it extremely disturbing
to be in a movie theater and have people laugh when someone is killed
(especially when there are children present and doing the laughing).

Does anyone have an opinion on the studies which show that people who watch
a lot of violent television believe that the crime rate is higher (and the
world, in general, is a more dangerous place) than those who don't?

Laura Ciampa