SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
jennifer taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:27:31 PDT
Opinion  on TV violence

Chris W. said "Do you assume here that censorship is a natural and
desirable thing to do to children?" "You are entitled to do this, but
you should be aware that you question contains the assumption."

I think children should be kept from watching certain shows. Violence on
TV directly causes violent behavior. An example of this is the show that
used to come on called The Incredible Hulk. My younger bother James,
used to watch it. When  the main character  would turn into the Hulk, of
course he would throw items such as cars. My brother picked up on these
things.  My brother would get mad and have a temper tantrum. After
watching this show he would throw his toys.  One day he happened to
throw a match box car through our glass door. Once mom figured out  he
was imitating the Hulk, she wouldn't let him watch the show anymore and
he stopped throwing things when he'd get mad. Younger children pick up
on little things like this. Some shows that have cursing in them they
pick up on this as well. I certainly do not want my children watching
shows like that. I understand children are exposed to a certain amount
of bad language and violence in real life without having to watch tv. We
should take into consideration the type of words used and how often. If
a child sees someone on the tv cursing out another person then that
child could turn and curse some stranger or even his/her parents. Most
young children are easily influenced between  the ages of 4 - 15. It may
be hard to say whether you would or wouldn t let your children watch the
violent shows if you don t have any children. Just watching my younger
brother and even my younger cousins makes me stop and think about this
violence and even most of the language that is involved in these shows.
When they see violence on tv they think it s neat and want to try it out
on their friends. Someone usually ends up getting hurt.

Bryan S. responded to my question "Do you believe the program editor
would be better than the V-chip?"
He replied, "I think they both have potential capabilities, but nothing
takes the place of the good old fashioned "Family Bond!"

I partially agree with that statement. If parents sit down with their
children and talk about what is going on in their lives they would be
closer as a family. They could play games, fun and educational. This
could keep them from wanting to watch so much tv. I don't think many
families actually have a family conversation nor do many even have a
family dinner in evenings together. The majority of families nowadays
have one/two full time working parents and it may be hard for the family
bonding to happen. Maybe on the weekends they could make quality time
for their families. I know when I was younger when my family would sit
down for dinner and usually the first thing was asked was "how was your
day" or " what did you do today." I felt that my parents not only were
interested but cared. This made it a lot easier for me to go to one of
them when I had a problem with something, because I knew they would
listen to me. I treasured the quality time my family spent together. My
father is a farmer so in the spring and summer we usually were lucky if
we saw him at the dinner table. The time he spent with us was special
and we made the best of it considering he stayed pretty tired most of
the time. I don t think nowadays enough family bonding occurs in the
household because of the simple fact that one or both parents work full
time. It is certainly a great thought, only if more people who have the
time will take advantage of it. I am sure they wouldn t regret it.