SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 5

From:
Stephen Tropiano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:59:31 -0400
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have in developing
a course titled "Contemporary Film Criticism"  I am teaching
a three-credit undergraduate (junior level) course which has
not been taught in years.  The six week course, according
to the catalogue, is an analysis and evaluation of contemporary
films and criticism.  "Students trace current feature films
to their artistic and cinematic roots and assess the value of
the new offerings.  At the same time they evaluation national
criticism (not reviews) of new offerings.

After giving an overview of film reviews/criticism/analysis
in terms of style and purpose, I thought I would address
specific issues in relation to current films.  For example
how the us vs. them mentality has resurface in alien
films (MEN IN BLACK, INDEPENDENCE DAY), which can be
examined in relation to 1950's sci-fi.  I am also thinking
of devoting a session to recent films (like Greg Arraki's
NOWHERE and CHASING AMY) which deal with the bisexual
subject.

I would appreciate any advice, suggestions (topics, films,
texts) or feedback.

STEPHEN TROPIANO

University of Alabama.