SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:05:09 EST
-------

I am doing some research on the HOLLYWOOD or HOLLYWOODLAND sign as a
sort of icon for Hollywood--the movie industry and its milieu. As
part of that research I am looking for movies and novels that contain
significant scenes involving the sign (in addition to the hundreds of
films that simply use a shot of the sign to establish place). Off
the top of my head all I can think of is The Couch Trip in which
Walter Matthau threatens to jump from the sign and one of James
Ellroy's Los Angeles novels which works the razing of the "LAND" into
its plot. I'd be grateful for your collective wisdom.

Thanks,

Chris Ames
English Dept
Agnes Scott College