SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:13:01 +0100
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:15:10 -0400 Liz Weis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I assume you are asking about a contemporary Anna Karenina, Leo, in asking
> about different sound tracks on the trailers. There is no definitive sound
> track. The end product of a final mix (which wouldn't have happened in time
> for the trailer's first release) is not just one printmaster from which
> domestic exhibition prints are struck; effects, dialog and music are kept
> discrete to allow for release in different formats ranging from monaural
> optical 16 mm. tracks, to multi-channel digital systems, to foreign versions
> minus the dialog. If this was a trailer made after the mix, lord knows which
> version they are working from; and if the trailer was made earlier, they are
> working with an incomplete sound track. liz weis cuny

So if we had a DTS machine the track on the disc might have been different
again! There was an article in Cinema Technology a couple of months back
saying that although SR-D was gaining market dominance in the US, UK and
Australia, DTS was winning in Europe as original language and dubbed versions
could be shown simply by swapping the disc(s), thus removing the need for two
prints. I would previously have taken it for granted that only the dialogue
would have been swapped, but I guess in theory they can make more radical
changes.

Perhaps they'll start doing "suitable for children" DTS discs with lines like
"Oh, shdear, what the fhell's happening" etc...

Leo
Leo Enticknap
Univ. of Exeter, UK

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite