SCREEN-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
Stephen O'Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 07:48:04 -0700
Don,

It seems that the undercurrent is that DVD will be an added format & will
not replace vhs or laser disc in the near to middle future. Not all the
studios are jumping into the digital world as yet. I think, it will be
another choice in which price, picture quality, available titles will
determine the ongoing decisions we make. I wouldn't through any thing out
yet. In fact, I'm in need of a turntable!

Stephen

++++++++++

At 09:42 AM 5/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Here's another question about projection (and even relating to plain old
>use of VHS and laserdisc):
>
>How will all of our current standard electronic image technologies be
affected
>by the switch to digital? I know that the emphasis on TV vs. computer
>digital tech. is still in the works but that the changeover has been
mandated.

>Should we throw away all our old TV sets and video projectors? (I have heard
>talk of "converters", but what will they do--or not--with the new
technology?)

>I also know there will be a bunch of new stuff--hardware and DVDs, et al. to
>buy. Will we still be able to use old tapes and discs?
>
>Will this be like having both a tape deck and a CD player--or will it be more
>like hanging on vainly to the old turntable and praying that it doesn't break
>down?
>
>Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)
>
>----
>Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
>http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite

Stephen O'Riordan
Film & Video Library
Univ. of Calif. at San Diego