SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:56:56 -0600
Lesli Larson requests:
"I'm helping a curator friend find films directly/indirectly related to the
Alaskan Gold Rush (silent, documentary, experimental,Classical Hollywood,
Televised, etc.). These films would be presented as part of an exhibit
commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Klondike (Chaplin's *Gold Rush*
and the Hope/Crosby travel films have already been added to the list)."

Try Buster Keaton's short THE FROZEN NORTH.  There are also a number of
films and cartoons that use the expression, "There's gold in them thar
hills!" that seems to be related to the rush.

Also check NORTH TO ALASKA.  I believe there are several versions of this
including the 1950s Henry Hathaway film with John Wayne.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

University of Alabama.