SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Mark Langer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:36:29 EDT
Lesli,

You might help your curator friend by pointing out that there was no
Alaskan Gold Rush.  The Klondike was over the border in the Yukon, Canada,
although the Alaskan panhandle was traversed by many travelling to Canada.
I don't think that I can properly convey the hoots of laughter that films
like THE FAR COUNTRY (with such things as sherrifs in Dawson City) arouse
in Canadian audiences.  This is topped only by the French-Canadian
characters portrayed by actors like Paul Muni (HUDSON'S BAY), J. Carroll
Naish (SASKATCHEWAN) or Laurence Olivier (FORTY-NINTH PARALLEL).  If
you haven't seen these films, just imagine John Cleese's French knight
character from MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL wearing a matching red touque
and waist sash and smoking a clay pipe.  Hey, I could go on, but I won't.

You might also suggest the NFB film CITY OF GOLD as part of this
retrospective.

I will stop now so that I can put my nose back in joint.

Mark