SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
John Schuurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:31:28 -0500
Hello,
I am writing a review of Sling Blade and would like to gather some opinions
on what members of this group think about the special effects lighting in
the film. Several times, horizontal bars of greenish light appear. This
occurs most noteably the last time at the pond with Frank, (the refelcted
ripples of water), and as Karl stands over the body of Doyle (the light on
Karl's chest coming through the blinds.) Anybody have a notion of what this
means, or, (better yet), some root in other mediums?

I am working also with the whole redemption/destruction theme in religious
terms and would be interested in your comments. It seems to me that Karl
determines to kill Doyle while at the pond with Frank. When Karl says that
people who commit suicide go to Hades and then Frank says, "Yeah, people who
kill other people go there too," a look of sad realization comes over Karl's
face and the camera penetrates the inscrutable eyes. I think he determines
here that he is Hades-bound because of his murders. Then he later askes for
baptism with a hammer in his hand. And later, he gives his Bible to Frank.
Has Karl in his muddled/clarvoiant way consigned himself to hell? Does he
reckon that he is lost to perdition anyway and thus determine to kill Doyle?

Let me know what you think.

John Schuurman

http://www.mcs.com/~wcrc/movies.html

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite