SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 4

From:
"D. R. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D. R. Smith
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:54:28 -0500
I rented the movie "A Midwinter's Tale" (written and directed by Kenneth
Branagh) over the weekend and found it very entertaining. It is about an
out-of-work actor who decides to direct an avant-garde production of
"Hamlet" (in a small English village called Hope, at Christmas) while he
is waiting to hear about "the job of a lifetime". I understand that
Branagh did this movie while he was waiting to do HIS version of "Hamlet".

What I found most interesting was the "play within a play" aspect of the
movie, and that the characters of the movie are all actors in the play
so they provide us with an examination of the PLAY's characters as well
as their own. It reminded me a little of the characters in Pirandello's
"Six Characters in Search of an Author". I was wondering if you guys know
of any other movies/plays/etc. that do this sort of thing. I think this
has been done with the plays "Richard III" and "Uncle Vanya ...",
but I'm not sure of the movie titles. And of course, "A Chorus Line,"
represents a Broadway musical within a Broadway musical, in the same way.

D. R. Smith

"You're that smart?"
"Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle,
Socrates?"
"Yes."
"Morons."
("The Princess Bride" -- 1987)