SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:49:07 -0600
At 11:24 AM 3/19/97, Kevin Boon wrote:
>I hear that the company responsible for The English Patient was pleased
>with the Seinfeld episode. From their perspective, it improves their
>exposure and helps their oscar chances. Let us all hope that this is not
>the picture that becomes the academy's best of the year; especially
>considering some of the wonderful films nominated.

Let us remember that _Seinfeld_ has used actual films as part of the humor
in brilliant ways previously to the hilarious recent episode surrounding
_The English Patient_.  I'm thinking in particular of the two-part episode
involving _Schindler's List_, mirrored in one of the sub-plots (Judge
Reinhold as Elaine's Schindler-like boyfriend) and when Jerry and his
latest paramour go to see the film, but don't watch it for other reasons
than its quality.

This is in keeping with the show's devestating but hilarious analysis of
how popular culture is part and parcel of these people's lives.

David