SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 2

From:
Martin F Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:10:10 -0500
On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Donald Larsson wrote:

> One more reference I don't recall seeing mentioned: Spencer Tracy as
> a one-armed Korean vet in BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.

The Tracy character was actually a World War II vet, though the movie
itself did appear on the heels of the Korean War.  The only film I can
think of offhand that portrays disabled Korean vets is a splendid little
production directed by John Auer for Republic called _The Eternal Sea_
(1955).  It stars Sterling Hayden and features both WWII and Korean veterans.

Since we're on the topic of disabled veterans, let me also mention _The
Big Parade_ (1925).  One of the few surviving films from the silent era to
depict the experiences of disabled World War I vets, it presents John
Gilbert in one of his finest performances.

And for other films related to wartime disability, let's not forget
_Johnny Got His Gun_ (1971) and _The Beguiled_ (1971).  They came out
during Vietnam but were set during different wars.  (And, interestingly,
each was scripted by one of the "Hollywood Ten" -- Dalton Trumbo and
Albert Maltz, respectively.)

--Marty Norden
           Martin F. Norden
  OO       Dept. of Communication, Box 34815      [log in to unmask]
  [_]<|    University of Massachusetts-Amherst    fax: 413 545-6399
  /|\      Amherst, MA  01003-4815      USA       tel: 413 545-0598, 545-1311
                home page: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~norden