SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 2

From:
Amanda Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:08:55 -0600
At 09:41 PM 3/9/97 -0500, Peter wrote:
>Arguably, the most important character in The Unforgiven" is Clint
>Eastwood's wife. Her personality is reflected in his actions. The film
>begins and ends with scenes of their home while a voice-over describes
>their relationship.Yet the wife (years dead in the story) is never seen.
>
>I thought the device worked well. Are there other examples of "unseen
>actors?" What function do they serve? Do they work as well, less well, or
>better than in the "Unforgiven"?

The first thing that comes to mind is "Harvey." No, now, hear me out, I'm
serious. You, of course, don't see the 6 foot rabbit, and obviously
believe, like everyone else in the film, that poor Jimmy Stewart's lost his
mind. However, by the end of the movie the writer and Koster's brilliant
direction have you believing in Harvey and Stewart's sanity. He actually
turns out to be the most sane character in the entire film.

Amanda
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.